Ten delicious facts about chocolate that you probably didn't know. Perfect dinner party fodder.
1. There is a correlation between the amount of chocolate a country consumes on average and the number of Nobel Laureates that country has produced.
2. A jewel thief made off with $28 million dollars of gems in 2007 because he was able to gain the trust of the guards working the bank in Antwerp, Belgium, by repeatedly offering them chocolate.
3. The blood in Psycho’s famous shower scene was actually chocolate syrup.
4. At one point the Nazis plotted to assassinate Winston Churchill with an exploding bar of chocolate.
5. Chocolate was consumed as a liquid, not a solid, for 90% of its history.
6. The Aztec emperor Montezuma II drank more than 50 cups of chocolate every day.
7. A wide range of substances have been ground up and mixed with chocolate, including, in the pre-Columbia era, possible dinosaur fossils.
8. During the Revolutionary War, soldiers were sometimes paid in chocolate.
9. Chocolate gives you a more intense mental high and gets your heart pounding more than kissing does.
10. Hershey’s Kisses got their name from the kissing sound the machine that deposits the chocolate on the conveyor belt makes.
Watch this space for more delicious facts next month. :)